BECOMING A GOVERNOR
You can become a school governor by
- being elected by parents as a parent governor, if your child attends the school
- being elected by staff, if you are a member of staff
- being nominated by the local authority
- being appointed by the church or charitable trust
- being appointed by other governors as a co-opted governor
- to become a governor, you will need to ensure that those who have a vote, or who appoint people, know about your interest.
Schools organise elections and tell parents and staff about them. But you can always ask a school whether there are vacancies now that need to be filled.
You can ask the local education authority, church or foundation if they would consider you.